What is Stenotrophomonas maltophilia?
Not a real superbug
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Stenotrophomonas (Pseudomonas) maltophilia is an aerobic gram-negative bacillus that is found in various fluids found in the hospital setting. Infection by this organism is rarely seen in humans with a well functioning immune system.
Studies have shown that S. maltophilia is consistently susceptible to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMZ). If TMP-SMZ cannot be used, the organism is usually sensitive to meropenem, minocycline, respiratory quinolones, or colistin/polymyxin B.
There have been many news articles calling S maltophilia as the newer emerging superbug however this is debatable in the current times with advancing medical research. A superbug is an organism that is difficult to treat and spreads easily. It is harder to accept the claim that S maltophilia deserves the superbug status because this organism accounts for fewer than 1% of bloodstream infections. Concerning response to treatment, the infection is controlled in most patients with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole with a rare incidence of drug resistance.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is std and what are the symptoms
- What is hyperaeration
- What is lymphangioma and what causes it
- What vitamins do what
- What is pelviectasis what is the treatment for
- Zosyn and stenotrophomonas
- Stenotrophomonas pneumonia in copd patients
- Cdc isolation stenotrophomonas
- What is harpies
- What is raspa
- Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...
- Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...
- Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?
- Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?
- Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...
- Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...
- Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...
- What is the cause for itchy underarms?
- On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?
- Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...