What is Progynova used for?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: why was I given prognova for iui...also have there been any successful " first time IUI " I am so worried....my husband has a low sperm count.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be successful when done properly.

Detailed Answer:

Progynova is given to prepare the endometrium prior to the expected implantation of the fertilized egg. This is done when there is improper endometrial preparation naturally due to hormone deficiency.

First time IUI can be successful when all other factors causing infertility have been taken care of. This includes using drugs to induce ovulation, correction of associated hormonal defects, establishing tubal patency and a near normal male fertility. The success rate is between 5-20 percent in each cycle, improving with better precautions.

Please mention the values like progressive motility, abnormal forms and liquefaction. Deviation from the normal in these parameters is of high significance in determining the success rate of the procedure. If these values are normal, slightly low sperm count has almost no affect on the outcome.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj