What is PCR test for HIV and AIDS?
I had unprotected sex with with some few days back. Since I don't want to wait for a window period of 3 months for the regular HIV test I would like to go for something with a shorter window period. I have heard of HIV RNA PCR TEST for early detection (with a window period of 12 days) .
I would like to know where can i get these tests done in kolkata? What test name should i ask for when i go to the lab.
Is HIV TAQMAN test the same as HIV RNA PCR test?
I would like to add to my previous question. Some labs in my locality mentioned they have HIV QUALITATIVE PCR. What window period does this have? Will this test be apt for my condition? Is this test the same as HIV RNA PCR?
I would appreciate if you can explain this to me in detail
DNA PCR or qualitative RNA PCR are ideal to detect early HIV 1
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
All the unprotected sex are not infectious.
HIV RNA PCR is of two types. Quantitative is meant to assess the prognosis of the disease whereas the qualitative RNA PCR has diagnostic value as well as DNA PCR. So you can take up either DNA PCR or qualitative RNA PCR. Even though it can detect the presence of HIV as early as a weeks time, it is considered conclusive 3-4 weeks after the risky contact. Moreover these PCR test can detect only HIV 1 infection only, not HIV 2. To detect HIV 2 you have to take up a separate HIV 2 PCR which is available only with selective labs.
PCR tests are available with many bigger labs like SRL Ranbaxy, VIMTA, Lal path, Path care, Hitech, Metropolis etc.
At the same time, I would like to point out that HIV 1 infection is the most common infection throughout the world except certain parts of XXXXXXX to the extent of 99 %or more.
The antibody detecting regular tests can detect both HIV 1&2 after the window period.
Dr S Murugan
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of hiv/aids?
- What tests detect hiv and aids
- Hiv aid testing slogan
- Hiv aids test lab in dahisar
- Hiv aids test in ernakulam
- Hiv dna pcr testing
- What are the chances of false positive hiv pcr tests
- What is pcr test for hiv and aids
- Hiv aids testing centre in powai
- Full blown aids and hiv testing
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...