Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is Osteoponia and how can I overcome this problem?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello doctor, My age 38 years (F) My health profile checked on 29/12/2013 is as follows :- Height : 157 cms Weight ; 69 kgs B.P – 120/70 Random Blood Sugar : 148 mg/ dl Bone Quality Index : 81.7 (with remarks as Osteopenic . ) T score : - 1.4 Please advise what is Osteoponic and how can I overcome this problem.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Decreased density of bone Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Osteopenia means decreased density of bone, which leads to bone weakening and an increased risk of breaking a bone (fracture). To overcome this take an adequate daily intake of calcium and vitamin D. If dietary intake is not adequate, then supplements may be prescribed. Lifestyle modifications are an important part of the prevention and treatment. These lifestyle changes include weight-bearing exercise (for example, walking or lifting weights). I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is Osteoponia and how can I overcome this problem? 15 minutes later
Thanks for your valuable suggestion, Calcium intake in the form of milk , Calcium Sandoz tablets would be ok or would u recommend something else? vit . D - fruits consumptions is ok. ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Milk and milk products Detailed Answer: Hi, For calcium intake, you can take milk and milk products. You can continue taking calcium Sandoz tablets. For vit D take proper sunlight exposure.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor