What is Levaquin prescribed for?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm looking for info on Levenquin (spelling?) antibiotic precribed after exray analysis for respiratory caugh and spitup.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
levaquin/levofloxacin

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You may be referring to levofloxacin ,also known as levaquin.

This is a broad spectrum (treats a lot of different bacteria) strong antibiotic that can be used to treat moderate to severe infections.

It is in the family of medications called fluoroquinolones.

It is normally a once a day medication.

One of the main known possible side effects that may or may not occur is tendonitis (inflammation of the tendon) but this injury occurs in less than 1% of persons .

Other possible effects that can occur are: nausea, vomiting and diarrhea , headache, insomnia, dizziness , rash

Some persons use the medication with no problems at all or only very few issues.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James