What is Divalproex prescribed for?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I would to have information on the drug divalproex.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anti seizure, migraine prophylaxis and mania

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Divalproex , also known as depakote, is an anti epileptic (anti seizure medication). It is also for migraines prophylaxis (reduce the frequency of attacks) or mania.

It works by increasing the levels of a chemical called GABA in the brain. It may also affect the channels (pathways) through which sodium and calcium pass.
GABA has an inhibitory effect- this means it suppresses or reduces activity or function

It, like most medications, can interact with some medications so if you are on other medications they may need to check against it.

There are potential side effects the most common are:nausea (in almost half of persons using it)
Other effects are headache, loss of energy, vomiting, sleepiness, tremor , dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea.

These effects may or may not occur.

It can cause liver disease in some persons but this possible effect is more likely in children

The dose may vary.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James