What is Cerebral artherosclerosis?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I was diagnose with cerebral atherosclerosis after an mri. Should I be worried? it sounds scary.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries yet, monitoring, life style changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

No serious worry yet. Cerebral artherosclerosis does not condemn one automatically as a serious health condition. It becomes serious only when the artery diameter is reduced to more than 50 % of its original size. This reduces blood supply to the brain and renders the risk of developing stroke increased.

The good news is that life style changes and specific drugs do significantly reduce the risk of stroke.

I would strongly suggest you screen for hypertension, blood cholesterol, blood glucose. In case of any abnormalities these conditions should be corrected. Avoiding smoking, excess alcohol would be very helpful. I suggest you continue physical exercise, you start it.

Drugs like low dose Aspirin greatly reduce the risk of developing stroke.

I do not think you need to bother much. Screen for conditions cited above that can increase risk of complications of cerebral artherosclerosis, especially stroke. Low dose Aspirin daily should be taken daily.

Your primary care doctor would be very helpful to help screen and monitor for hypertension, blood glucose, cholesterol. Eat enough vegetables and fibre/fruit rich diets.

No worries yet. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T