Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What is Balanoposthitis ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
I am a 40 year old married man (My wife is my only sexual partner) I have a dry and cracked foreskin, which gives me mild discomfort, this is the first time this has happened to me. Can I apply a cream?
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 20 minutes later
Dear Arron,

Welcome to Healthcaremagic

Cracked foreskin may be a sign of 'BALANOPOSTHITIS' It is candidial (fungal) infection of some oil-producing glands present in the foreskin of penis. You may be having this infection.

Do you have history of diabetes? - Before I suggest you any medicines, I would like to point out that you ought to check for Diabetes Mellitus. There is a very strong co-relation between DM and Balanoposthitis. You need to check for fasting blood sugar and blood sugar two hours after meals (PPBS).

Meantime you may apply an antifungal cream containing 'Terbinafine' once a day till resolution. Along with it, a course of oral antifungal medications may be needed in some instances. Oral terbinafine tablets are often used in such cases. You can get this prescribed from your healthcare provider.

I am looking forward to hear about your blood sugar status.

Thanks for your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor