What happens when your heart rate is too fast?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2017
Jan 2017
Excellent

Cardiologist
Question

My situation is a little unique. I suffer from dry eyes and three months ago I decided to do something very radical. I used my hands to press my eyes inward hard for about 20 minutes. (I figured my dry eye problems might come from bulging eyes and that pressing them inwards might help). During these 20 minutes I felt my heart pounding, a feeling of anxiety in my chest and when I later got up to walk I suffered from dizziness.

This was three months ago but the dizziness still remains. During the last month my heart beats are also very hard. They sometimes rock my entire body and I can consistently feel my pulse in my head. I can also feel it in my hand when I hold it against the back of my head or on my stomach. I feel that my heart beats might be what is effecting my balance.

I did an MRI scan and everything came back normal. I did an ECG which came back normal. My pulse is consistently around 60 bpm. My blood pressure is about 118/64.

I have a history of heart fibrillation. I have had one ablation done about 1,5 years ago.

What can this be? Will it go away? Is it dangerous? What should be the next step in investigating my problems? Do you think this is a heart issue or a brain issue?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You ll need holter monitoring. Its likely an anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Its likely an anxiety issue and increased awareness of your own heart beat. Now, for these palpitations to be caused by some pathological and abnormal cause like fibrillation, your heart rate will increase, you may get symptoms like chest pain, shortness of breath etc, and you don't have these. So it doesn't have any of these.
Now, to be sure about this, you should get 24- 48 hrs Holter monitoring done or ambulatory ecg monitoring and noting that during symptomatic time, there was no fibrillation or other abnormal rhythm noted. So likely it's not heart issue and not dangerous. Its normal to feel our heart beats while our arm rested over abdomen or chest.
Also, regarding your eye therapy, it should not be practiced and there is no evidence that this is going to help. For your dryness of eyes, you can use eye drops Refresh tears two times a day.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.