Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

What happens if a little kid drinks Lysol?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6177 Questions
What happens if a little kid drinks Lysol by accident
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If no symptoms, monitor. Otherwise, get consulted

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that you child ingested lysol. Please do you have any idea on how much was ingested as toxicity relates directly to the amount ingested. Check on the instructions of this product and read the safety guidelines and what they say should be done in case of ingestion. Also, they may have a number to permit you call and talk to them directly.

However, toxicity may present with corrosion, pain, nausea, vomiting, sweating, diarrhoea, circulatory and respiratory failure, pulmonary edema, myocardial and damage, liver and kidney dysfunction. If any of these symptoms are present, please seek immediate medical attention.

Treatment of Toxicity consist in gastric lavage should(done at the hospital) be done with water and olive oil (or any other vegetable oil) added to water to delay absorption. Activated charcoal may also be used.

However, if the amount was very small, you may want to observe and only make moves if something comes up. If you are uncertain of the quantity ingested, then immediate medical attention is warranted.

I hope this answers your query fully. Please, try to always keep these products as far as possible out of the reach of children. Feel free to ask follow up questions for clarification.
Thanks and wish your child the best of outcomes from this.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor