What happens if 22 tablets of dolo 650 is taken at a time?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Drug Abuse
Question: what will happen if anyone take 22 dolo 650 at a time....
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
That makes a total dose of Dolo(paracetamol) at 14.3 grams, if the whole lot is taken at once it would lead to severe liver damage and the patient would develop Acute fulminant Hepatic Failure due to the toxic metabolite of paracetamol called NAPQI which depletes the stores of glutathione.
It is a medical emergency and patient must be shifted by ambulance to ER as soon as possible. In ER patient would need gastric lavage, monitoring in ICU and treatment with N-acetylcysteine is found to be effective in recommended dose infusions.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.