Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

What foods should be eaten for someone recovering from pancolitis or C-DIF?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
What foods should be on a diet for someone recovering from pancolitis or C-DIF?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

From your query I understand that the patient is suffering from antibiotic induced clostridium difficle diarrhea (antibiotics for post surgical infection of the incision site), which is a common occurrence at her age.

I would like to comment the following:
1. The diagnosis of such diarrhea is based on stool test for c-dif.
2. She seems to have been already started on probiotics which will speed up her recovery.
3. Give her ample of fluids with ORS (Oral rehydrating solution- WHO based to be taken with water) to prevent and treat the associated dehydration which leads to weakness in such cases.
4. Diet: Adequate nutrition is important during an episode of acute diarrhea. As mentioned earlier give her plenty of fluids. Boiled starches and cereals (eg, potatoes, noodles, rice, wheat, and oats) with salt are recommended for people with watery diarrhea; crackers, bananas, soup, and boiled vegetables may also be given to her. Try to avoid milk and milk products for the duration of diarrhea.
5. Proper hygiene maintenance is important for both the patient and the care taker during such episode. Simple measures like washing hands with ant bacterial soap or hand wash are very important. Clip the overgrown nails of the patients regularly so that they aren't potential source of infection any more.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Take care.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor