What foods should be eaten for someone recovering from pancolitis or C-DIF?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Diet Plans
Question: What foods should be on a diet for someone recovering from pancolitis or C-DIF?
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

From your query I understand that the patient is suffering from antibiotic induced clostridium difficle diarrhea (antibiotics for post surgical infection of the incision site), which is a common occurrence at her age.

I would like to comment the following:
1. The diagnosis of such diarrhea is based on stool test for c-dif.
2. She seems to have been already started on probiotics which will speed up her recovery.
3. Give her ample of fluids with ORS (Oral rehydrating solution- WHO based to be taken with water) to prevent and treat the associated dehydration which leads to weakness in such cases.
4. Diet: Adequate nutrition is important during an episode of acute diarrhea. As mentioned earlier give her plenty of fluids. Boiled starches and cereals (eg, potatoes, noodles, rice, wheat, and oats) with salt are recommended for people with watery diarrhea; crackers, bananas, soup, and boiled vegetables may also be given to her. Try to avoid milk and milk products for the duration of diarrhea.
5. Proper hygiene maintenance is important for both the patient and the care taker during such episode. Simple measures like washing hands with ant bacterial soap or hand wash are very important. Clip the overgrown nails of the patients regularly so that they aren't potential source of infection any more.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D