What factors should be considered while choosing a hearing aid?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: How can I know my audiologist is recommending the least expensive, appropriate hearing aid that also masks tinnitus? Whom can I trust?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the details...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It's a question that is difficult to answer directly. But I hope the following information helps you.

There are various factors you need to consider while choosing an hearing aid:
1. Type and amount of hearing loss.
2. The size of the hearing aid - smaller the size, costlier is the instrument.
3. Additional features such as blue tooth, attached eye glasses, etc.
4. Type of hearing aid such as digital or analogue or tinnitus masker. Digitally programmable hearing aid is the best.
5. Number of channels - more the channels, finer is the tunning and thus costlier is the instrument.
6. Servcing of the instrument - You should buy it from the dealer who is easily approachable.

Hence, all these factors are to be considered before buying an hearing aid.

You can consult two or more audiologist, get the appropriate instrument, which is more comfortable and affordable for you.

Normally, they provide the instrument on a trial basis for a couple of days. If you are comfortable enough, you can buy it or else return it back to them. Also, you can check it on the internet for the pricing of the instrument you are supposed to buy.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for your helpful response

I have a further question Re: #6:

You wrote, "Servicing of the instrument -- You should buy it from the dealer who is easily approachable. "

By "buy," do you mean buy the instrument or buy the servicing of the instrument?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Many of the individuals, try to buy the instrument from a different country or in a different state. In that case, if any problem arises such as battery related problems, calibration of the instrument or hardware related problem, then the nearest available dealer will refuse to touch your instrument.

Hence, it is always advisable to buy the instrument from the nearest dealer. If any problem arises, by chance, you can always get it repaired or exchanged or calibrated.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari