What factors determine the need for medication when the blood report shows high LDL?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm about to have a follow-up appointment with PCP. Blood tests from November showed high LDL.

What factors are used to determine whether medication is in order? I'd like to look into it before my appointment.

And asking because at least two doctors said they'd use medicine given the blood test results but via correspondence, PCP says not so. (Note: I didn't mention to her what the other two doctors said--PCP is my treating physician so have to work through her.)

I can provide test values for your review. Don't see how to attach them here.

Added: Taking Lisinopril for high bp.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that ideally the ldl levels should be less than 130 mg/dl. If it goes beyond 159 mg/dl which is considered high and requires mild medical therapy. Kindly upload your blood reports so that I can go through them first and then give my opinion accordingly.

Your report pics can be uploaded via your dashboard.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
The dashboard in the app? I installed the app but got a msg that the app needs to be updated (by HealthcareMagic) to work. It won't seem to permit asking private questions or accessing my account.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for uploading the reports.

After going through your reports I would like to tell you that your cholesterol levels are just deranged and is nothing to worry for.

For these cholesterol levels in my opinion no medical therapy is needed as of now and can simply be taken care with lifestyle modifications which includes

1. Healthy small frequent meals containing high fibre content and rich in nutrients. Low on fats and carbs.

2. Fried food items should be avoided.

3. Brisk morning walk daily for atleast 30 mins a day for 5 days a week.

4. Drink good amount of water daily.

Follow this routine strictly for 3 months and then check your lipid profile again and you will see the difference.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana