Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

What exercises can I do for Erb's palsy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12734 Questions
My son has erbs palsy.He underwent various treatments like wearing splint,electrical stimulation and physiotherapy.He is 14 years now.He weighs 90 kg,and he is 185cm tall.Can you suggest some specific exercises he can do on his own?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

An erb's palsy present since birth is due to a permanent damage to the nerve. You have already done all the possible treatments like splint, electrical stimulation, etc.
Recovery of any permanently damaged nerve after such a long time is not possible.
Now only some routine physiotherapy based passive muscle exercises can be done only to prevent the further muscle atrophy and avoid the joint stiffness.
The exercises are best done under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
I will also suggest him to indulge in other exercises to reduce some of his body weight.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor