What dose of Lantus can be taken with Victoza?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am on Victoza, right now on .6 only but increasing every week. I now want to add Lantus. How do I work out the dosage of Lantus. I also take Metformin.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

I need more information to guide your management effectively.
please answer the following queries

what is your most recent HBA1C level, if not done please get it done.
what is your average fasting blood glucose while on these medicine
state the additional medication that you are using currently.

keep in touch.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 19 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answers to your questions:
My last A1C was 12.7

fasting blood glucose was 17.3
Further meds I am taking:
Atenolol = 50 mg per day
Aspirin + 81mg per day
nabumetone 1500mgs per day
Periet 80mgs a day
Lamotrigine 200mgs per day
Divalproex 200mg per day
Elavil 200mg per day
metformin 1000mgs per day
Victoza .6 and increasing.1 every week
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
poor glycemic control

Detailed Answer:
HELLO,

the HBA1C is quite high and the Fasting blood sugar is also not controlled.
looking at your medication and the potential for diabetic nephropathy in long term,

I would advise you to consult your doctor for an ACE inhibitor and diuretic instead of a beta blocker for your hypertension, as ACEI has benefit of long term decreased damage to the kidneys via decreasing intra glomerular hypertension.

IRAGLUTIDE dose can be increased up to 1.8 mg if glycemic control is not adequate.
LANTUS (insulin GLARGINE) has to be used with short acting oral drugs like GLICLIZIDE.
metformin can be continued with these medication and dose increased from your current dose provided renal function tests are normal.

please, do screen for diabetic retinopathy , consult an ophthalmologist.

DOSE MODIFICATIONS SHOULD BE DONE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A HEALTHCARE PROVIDER.

have a nice day.
thanks.