What dosage of orlistat should be taken per day?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi doctor, what dosage of orlistat should be taken in a day?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Three times daily Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Orlistat is usually taken 120 mg three times daily along with food up to 1 hour after food. I would like to add here that this drug has a lot of side effects like fecal urgency, oily stools, etc. Please do not consume this tablet without a prescription I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have any further queries I wish you good health Regards
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
thanks doctor. one of the doctors grom XXXXXXX only recommended it and said it has no side effects. please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Oily stools Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply No drug is absolutely free from side effects. The most common side effects of orlistat are 1. Greasy, oily stools 2. Flatus 3. Malbsorption of vitamins 4. Diarrhea Long term treatment has shown increase risk of breast cancer I hope I was of help, I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, it was a very busy day at the hospital Regards
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
thanks doctor for giving heads up. can u suggest me the ways to loose weight. mt bmi is 28. i m really worrief.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exercise and Dieting Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Here are my suggestions to you 1. Diet restriction is primary to lose weight. Keep your calorie intake less than 1,200 to 1,800 2. Exercise daily. Running, swimming, cycling are wonderful ways to lose weight. 30 min a day is the minimum duration per day you will have to exercise 3. Do not skip meals, eat at regular intervals daily. Adding fiber to your diet will help you have the feeling of fullness faster. High fibre diet are green leafs and vegetables 4. Snacking should be avoided, if you are in the habit of snacking eat fruits instead of junk I am sure you have heard and read enough on how to lose weight. The most important factor is determination and perseverance. Make up your mind today to lose atleast 1 kilo a month and you will. Regards