What dosage of adult nyquil can be given to ten year old girl child?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What dosage of adult nyquil can i give my 10year old 89lb daughter??
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello.
Acccording to her weight and age she can be given about minimum half to maximum two third dose of adult nyquil syrup containing about 500 mg. of acetaminophen 15 mg. of dextromethorpan and 6.25 mg. of doxylamine succinate per 15 ml.
If you have nyquil liquicaps or multisymptom relief syrup containing 325 mg. of acetaminophen per 15 ml instead of 500 mg., then she can be given two third ( min) to full dose (maximum) as the content itself comes in less than the adult dose recommended.
Though it is an over the counter medicine it is not recommended for self medication especially in children as it can have sideeffects on gastrointestinal tract and liver .
So please do consult her pediatrician as soon as feasible for appropriate treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T