What dosage of Prednisone is to be taken for poison ivy?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have been prescribed prednisone for poison ivy. I am 71 yrs. old, 154 lbs, 5'11". When i picked up the script I was surprised to see that the dosage was 20mg each pill and I start by taking 3 pills for 5 days, 4 for 5 days and then 1for 5 days. I have never taken such a strong doe of prednisone and the tappering off period was different. Is this the usual way to handle prednisone for poison ivy? Thank you.

the correct dosage is 3 20 mg. pills for 5 days, 2 pills for 5 days and 1 pill for 5 days. Sorry for the slip of the keyboard!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 18 minutes later
Brief answer....treatment protocol is all right
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
The dose of prednisolone prescribed to you by doctor is correct.
The usual starting dose for oral prednisone in an adult suffeting from posion ivy symptoms is generally 1 mg per kg body weight and then this dose is tapered gradually in next 10-14 days.
So 60 mg per day of prednisolone,to start with,is correct and tapering schedule of next 10 days is also correct.
Don't worry about it and carry on with the advice of your treating doctor.
I hope it helps however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 hours later
I did not include that I use Ambien each night. Is that safe to use during this treatment?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Database available with us doesn't show or mention about any interaction between ambien and prednisolone.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta