What dosage of Acyclovir should I take for genital herpes?
depends on if using it for suppression or to treat specific infections
It can be taken in different ways, it depends on the exact reason for its use eg some persons use it to prevent or reduce the chance of an outbreak occurring- this is called suppressive therapy- it suppresses the infections
Some persons use it to only treat the infections as they occur, it is called episodic therapy
(1) Suppressive therapy (reducing infections starting up) is taken every day, it is used in persons with frequent infections. For suppression, acyclovir is used 400mg twice daily, can be taken for years when used for this reason
Dose recommended by CDC
(2) Episodic therapy ( treat infections as they occur)- taken when outbreak starting or persons thinks may start.
Acyclovir is used 3 times daily when used to treat an outbreak, seen on CDC site.
If your infections are occurring too often then you can use the suppressive therapy which is daily
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What looks like genital herpes
- Acyclovir cream for genital herpes
- What are the symptoms of genital herpes?
- What causes genital herpes
- What are the signs of genital herpes
- Is fenvir safe and good to take for genital herpes
- Acyclovir dosage for genital herpes
- Oral herpes genital herpes
- Genital herpes what does tingling feel like
- Genital herpes valtrex dosage