What does whooshing sound in the fetal HP doppler test indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Question
I am wondering if there are any large arteries just superior to the pubic bone midline. I'm questioning pregnancy and used a fetal HR Doppler this evening. I'm picking up a strong "wooshing" pulse in the location above, but no baby heart beat. I would be 11 weeks along if pregnant. Does the above description sound like it probably is placental blood flow or is there another artery I can attribute it to? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Placenta too small at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The placenta is too small at this stage to be developed and have enough blood to throw a signal.

These pulsations are coming from another vessel.

Even as the pregnancy advances, the uterine blood vessels also grow and give a signal producing a whooshing sound. But it is too early even for this. The belly also grows only after about 12-14 weeks.

If pregnancy is in doubt then I suggest that you get a urine test to confirm pregnancy and then if it is positive then get an ultrasound done to accurately date it and also look for fetal well being.

Hope this satisfies the query.

Thanks for using HCM.

Feel free for any more queries.

Dr Madhuri Bagde