What does white crusty sore on the outer ear indicate?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a white crusty sore on my outer ear. I had it once before years ago. I'm seeing a dermatologist who just can't put a name on it or prescribe the proper medication. Last time I had it I had been seeing an ENT for a deviated septum. He knew immediately what it was ( a VERY long word that I THINK, but am not sure, started with a W. I've had this for months. Can you PLEASE help me. Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be otitis externa.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having crusts over external ear. I would like to ask you few more details.

Is there any itching or ear discharge or pain ?
Is there any dandruff (scalp) or allergies ?

Kindly get back to me with the details.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be otitis externa secondary to seborrhic dermatitis (dandruff ) or due to allergy.

I suggest you to follow these measures to overcome your issues.

1. Do not scratch, keep ear dry.

2. Needs local examination for the exact diagnosis (kindly attach the photos of scalp and ear).

3. Take anti allergic medication like tab. Zyrtec (citrizine ) 10 mg at bed time to get relif from itching.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 14 hours later
There is no itching, but if any pressure is put on it, it hurts. I used to sleep on that side and have been trying to sleep on the other side, because it hurts. There is no dandruff or peeling and I don't have any skin allergies. Sometimes sinus depending on the weather. That's all. If I keep it dry, it bothers me more. The last prescription the Dr. prescribed was Triamcinolone 0.25% which lubricates and makes it feel better, but hasn't made it go away.
Brief Answer:
Chronic otitis externa.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Looks like chronic otitis externa secondary to local allergy (frequent remissons, responding with triamcinilone).

I suggest you to apply over the counter preparation (star otic - aluminum acetate) to prevent frequent crusting. With that, stop wearing ear plugs, swimming and applying allergic shampoos.