What does well controlled HTN mild-moderate aortic valve regurgitation coronary angiography normal with lad irregularities mean?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi I am 51 yr old female history of well controlled HTN mild-moderate aortic valve regurgitation coronary angiography normal with lad irregularities what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.....

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. Mild to moderate aortic regurgitation means, that one of your heart valves which connects the main pumping chamber of heart (left ventricles) to main blood carrying vessel of body (aorta) has mild to moderate degree of leakage or reverse flow. This is not a serious issue as yet because it has to be severe to be significant . However depending upon the clinical profile and other ECHO findings, you need to get follow-up ECHO studies in future. (usually not before one year). The cause for this much of leakage can be age related changes or associated high blood pressure.
2. Your coronary angiography is normal that means none of the major vessels supplying blood to heart has an obstruction of 50% or more. There are 3 main blood vessels which supply blood to the heart. LAD or left anterior descending artery is one of the them and is foremost. "Irregularities" mean that there are areas with atheroscleortic (cholesterol/ fat laden) plaques in the wall of vessel. They are not causing any significant obstruction. These plaques are important when they cause 50% or more obstruction of lumen of the vessel. This finding does not alter management in any way. You must get your risk factors in control. These are blood sugar, blood pressure, smoking, blood cholesterol (mainly LDL cholesterol), psycho-social stress & obesity.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further / please do write for any other clarification.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh.