What does vaginal spotting during early pregnancy indicate?

Posted on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 5.5 weeks pregnant. I am having spotting for 2 days. I went to emergency unit. They did an internal and said cervix was closed which is a good sign. They said to go back if bleeding gets heavy or I get pain. I have no pain. Ultrasound said everything is developing I have the gestational sac though irregular shape with a yolk and a very tiny baby. No heartbeat at the moment said it is too soon. Am I going to have a miscarriage? If so will I miscarry again if I try again but I am hoping to have a successful pregnancy do you see that possible
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Successful pregnancy possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
At 5.5 weeks the heart beat may not be visible on ultrasound scan. Presence of a yolk sac suggests a viable pregnancy. The chances of miscarriage are less. it is best to wait and take rest and get a repeat scan done after 10 days to detect a cardiac activity.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Thank you so much. I am having a scan next Thursday. Can it still be early next Thursday if no heartbeat detected? Is spotting ok also I am concerned about irregular sac is there anything I can do? Lastly I have no pregnancy symptoms and nevee had is this normal? I am in such a state crying xx

Another thing that worries me is it 10 weeks since I had a period 28th January and scan shows 5.5 weeks pregnant. I got a positive test on 23rd February which correlates with the 5.5 weeks is this normal or should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heart beat should appear by 7 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
At 7 weeks if no heart beat is detected then a missed abortion will be a possibility.
The irregular sac will become alright if the heart beat appears. Having no pregnancy symptoms is not worrisome as in some cases the symptoms appear late.
Even if your last date was 10 weeks ago this can be due to a late conception.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
You really do see I can have a successful pregnancy. I have had no spotting at all today so is that a good sign please?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. it can be a delayed conception.

Detailed Answer:
Yours can be a normal pregnancy. Just wait for the next scan rest and don't be anxious.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN