What does vaginal bleeding during pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Bleeding after getting a postive result of Pregnancy.

Hi

I am XXXX. I am having a problem regarding my pregnancy. So I am worried about it.

I had my last period on 25th December 2016. After that I missed my period on 25th of January 2017. So i took a Pregnancy Test at home only. I took the Home Pregnancy Test on 4th February 2017. The result was positive.

But now the problem is that from 6th of February evening I am bleeding little little for which I am not using a pad. The blood is not bright red. I am not bleeding like a normally I do during periods time. But tiny clots looks like nerves coming out from 6th of february. I am only bleeding when I am going for pee. Not before that or after that.

Can any body help me out. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis should be confirmed

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Bleeding in early pregnancy can be due to abortion, ectopic pregnancy or haemorrhage around the fetus ( subchorionic haemorrhage).
However, the exact diagnosis can be made by proper clinical examination and ultrasound.
I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined and investigated and get appropriate treatment timely.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Thank you Doctor.

Today evening I had an abdominal pain with cramps and back pain. It pained like its going to take my life away. After that I went to washroom. I bled with bright red color blood. And with that a big clot came out and there was discharge also which was red in color. After that there is no abdominal pain and cramps. But now am bleeding little little.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spontaneous abortion likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
By the description you gave, you likely had an abortion.
You should get an ultrasound done to confirm it.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj