What does twitching around the mouth suggest?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: HI ! PLEASE HELP ! ... I HAVE THIS VERY BAD TWITCHING AROUND MY MOUTH WHENEVER I TRY TO SMILE . I DONT KNOW WHY ?? BUT ITS HAPPENING EVERYTIME ? WHOM SHOULD I CONSULT ?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Action induced dyskinesia or dystonia?

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon. My name is Dr. Saghafi and I am an adult neurologist and I'd like to give some thoughts. It's hard to tell exactly what your diagnosis is going to be without examining you and taking a bit more history on you but you may something called and DYSKINESIA which is activated by action. Alternatively, you may be suffering from medication induced tardive dyskinesias of some type such as what happens with things such as REGLAN, COMPAZINE, and HALDOL.

Are you on any medications or have you been on any of the above 3 medications?

I would recommend seeking out a neurologist to examine you and to run tests which could include blood and urine looking for other causes of dyskinesias in someone who is young such as yourself. They will take a complete history on you to see if you've had any infections recently, suffered from any twitching episodes in the past which perhaps got better which may be returning for some reason, or suffered any facial or head injuries. They will also check to see if there is any family history of anything similar.

I hope this answer satisfactorily addresses your question. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other questions or comments, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so this question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary?

Please direct more comments and questions to me in the future at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi and I would be honored to answer you very quickly and continue this discussion.

Please keep me informed as to the outcome of your situation.
All the best.

The query has required a total of 15 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist