What does total cholesterol of 223 indicate?

Question
Hi I'm 50yrs female...my total cholesterol is 223, LDL 148 my HDL is 59 my Trigs are 83 please Help. Is 223 really bad?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tot cholesterol=LDL, HDL and VLDL

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though there are goals for the total cholesterol, it is more important to look at the breakdown of cholesterol.

This is because total cholesterol is made up of : LDL plus HDL and VLDL (influences triglycerides).

This means that total cholesterol can sometimes be high if the HDL (good cholesterol) is high even if bad cholesterol is low.

You need to look more at the breakdown values to see if your cholesterol is controlled: (1) HDL - this is the good cholesterol. An HDL less than 50 is considered too low for a female. Your HDL of 59 is good.
IF it climbs over 60, even better

(2)LDL- this is the bad cholesterol. Your value of 148 is considered borderline high.

(3)triglycerides- less than 150 is considered optimal. This means your value is very good.

The LDL is of concern because it is borderline high. High LDL can be associated with risk of heart disease. In addition to the use of your medication you would have to continue or start dietary changes such as increasing your use of dietary fiber and decreasing the use of saturated fats.

Summary: important to look at the break down. In your breakdown LDl borderline high

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions