What does tongue protrusion in a child indicate?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 13 month old grandson has had tongue protrusion since he was around 5 or 6 months old. My daughter has asked about this at his nursery & they simply say a lot of kids do it and it's just a habit. However I am not convinced as it's out nearly all the time and the rest of the time he has a dummy tit in, besides the nursery assistants wouldn't be trained on such medical issues (with respect). Otherwise he appears fine with his development and can eat like a horse, in fact he obsesses over food! He has been a challenging baby (much more so than his older sister) regarding sleeping & needing constant attention. He had a normal birth and was a healthy weight but one of his testicles had not dropped although it eventually did around a week or so old. He catches the usual viruses and colds like most babies do. I've been reading up on this and am an ex staff nurse - I already know about not using feeder cups, promoting straws and encouraging him to say Ba, Ma etc, in an effort to change this behaviour, but would like to know what it is and how and where to get help
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: get a pediatric consult Detailed Answer: Hi, Regarding your grand child I understand your concern. I hope the pediatrician has seen and ruled out some of the medical conditions like Bechwith and other causes of macroglossia . Of course it is easy to exclude Downs syndrome by clinical examination. If other wise normal as mentioned by you ,you have to be worried about dentition and speech. So I would suggest you get appropriate consult with a pediatrician,and watch the child for the problems of speech and dentition. If it is mild the child may grow over the problem when muscles are developed and buccal fat disappears. Good luck God bless Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thank you for your informed answers. One other thing I forgot to mention - he has only two bottom teeth and has been really slow at teething. Could this be linked to the macroglossia? Do you mean Beckwith Wiedemann Syndrome? You have put Bechwith so I just wanted to double check. One other thing I forgot to mention - he has only two bottom teeth and has been really slow at teething. Could this be linked to the macroglossia? Do you mean Beckwith Wiedemann Syndrome? You have put Bechwith so I just wanted to double check. Thanks again, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
Brief Answer: yes same syndrome Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes I meant the same syndrome! ( sorry for the typing error!) Second point - Dentition varies in kids - some may be late! Macroglossia may distort the teeth but not affect the timing of teeth eruption. Just rule out vitamin D and calcium deficiency if significantly delayed after a few months. Good luck Dr Uma