What does tingling in the left shoulder and arm indicate?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: What does tingling in in the left shoulder and arm mean??
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it might be due to the nerve locally- advises given

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

Tingling is a neurological sign so it is very likely related to the nerve that comes from the neck to the arm. If it is "pinched" on the way out from the spine to the arm it might cause some numbness in the shoulder and arm, the area it runs in.

You will need a visit to a Neurologist to figure out where is the area that the nerve is "pinched" and how it might be treated. If you do not have other neurological signs than it is just a local problem there.

If you have other neurological signs like numbness in other areas, weakness in an arm or leg, any difficulty swallowing or speaking than it is a higher risk another cause is the reason and in this case, a thorough neurological exam is needed to determine the cause of it.

So at the moment, I would say that if you have only that tingling in the arm and shoulder in only one side than seeing a physiotherapist might help to determine if it is the cervical spine or muscle tightening that is "pinching" the nerve and will also give you the proper treatment for it. Taking multivitamin supplements along with this will be of help too.

If you have other neurological signs as mentioned above please see your doctor and have a thorough neurological exam.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee