• question-icon

What does this x-ray report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 43yo M, helicopter pilot / motorcycle guide
, motorcycle accident, Broken L clavicle 7 weeks ago, saw ortho yesterday and she said it's not healed still, restricted ROM, only slight callous development, clavicle shortened 3-4cm.... Prescribed phsyio and check up back with her after 8 more weeks.
Is this normal? X Ray from yesterday looks same as first X-ray 7 weeks ago....
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The fracture is healing. Callus is present.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the X-ray attached. It is a comminuted fracture of clavicle. It heals slowly. A clear callus is seen. It will take time to heal and regain the full ROM. But it will heal with conservative treatment. There is no need to worry. It is best to wait for 8 weeks more and then get a repeat X-ray done after that. Start with physiotherapy gradually to gain the muscle strength.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon