What does this urine test report indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: what is meant by albumil level ++++ ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It means your urine has albumin concentration more than 300 mg/ dl

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

Albumin is a protein and it is usually tested in urine to know kidney function.

In a normal person urine contains very small amount of albumin protein up to 20 mg/ dl and this is called traces.

However in abnormal conditions associated albumin can be found in urine and such a finding is reported as +, ++. +++ or ++++.

If protein or albumin concentration in urine is 30 mg/dL then report is +
If protein or albumin concentration in urine is 100 mg/dL then report is ++
If protein or albumin concentration in urine is 300 mg/dL then report is +++
If protein or albumin concentration in urine is more than 300 mg/dL then report is ++++

Since your albumin is ++++ therefore you require a detailed kidney function testing and discussion with your doctor/nephrologist urgently.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee