What does this urine culture report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Treatment for insignificant growth urethral commensals. Specimen: Urine, Type of Culture: Bacterial Aerobic Culture. Gramstain: Occasional Pus Cells and Occasional Gram negative bacilli seen. Final Report: Insignificant growth of urethral commensals. Kindly advice for treatment.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No treatment is advised if there are no symptoms suggesting UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have done your routine urine test and culture which revealed Urethral Commensals and pus cells .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like urgency ,burning ,frequency etc ?

Urethral commensals are the microbes present in every female in anterior urethra and Vagina since birth and they are not pathogenic in nature and not significant at all .Hence no treatment is required

If you have symptoms of UTI you can take Norfloxacin and Nitrofurantoin twice daily for a week

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute .

Ensure to observe proper personal perineal hygiene by cleaning the area with microbial solution every day .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil