• question-icon

What does this urinalysis report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I was seen in ER 3 weeks ago for retained stool due to my gastroparesis, I had the full work up, EKG was normal as was Chest xray, CBC nl and blood chem. panel as well. They did a full abdominal CT scan of abdomen and pelvis all was normal, including bladder and kidneys, had a Urinalysis, which showed a 1+ heme, but only 0-1 on RBC on microscopy, have heard different results, was told this was nothing and told i shold have a cystopic exam, yet was told 0-1 RBC was within normal limits, any chance of bladder cancer, or should I just quite worryng. I have atrophic vaginitis and am usually dry. thaks for you help
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Cancer is the last thing to think of . Such finding isnt indicating any pathology and all you need is to repeat urine analysis in 2 weeks and do kidney ultrasound to rule out stones. Try to drink more fluids,raspberry tea and that's it. If blood in urine become visible then you need to do cystoscopy. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
would the CT scan with contrast XXXXXXX show up the kidney stones, ER doc said the kidneys were normal thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it would

Detailed Answer:
Yes it would show, but it is possible that stone passed few days ago and then it would cause hematuria anyway.

So it would just be good to check kidney with ultrasound in few weeks.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon