What does this ultrasound report of left kidney indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Had ultrasound which showed mass in left kidney. They don't think it's malignant, but they want to be sure.They want to do ct scan with contrast. I don't want to do ct unless absolutely necessary due to high radiation risk. Is there another scan that can be done like Mri? If I do ct scan, how much radiation will I be getting, and can the amount of radiation during scan be reduced in any way? (This question is for a radiologist dr., please.)
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may go for contrast CT scan of abdomen or MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Any mass in kidney need further investigations.
CT scan is cheap and it is a short procedure as compared to MRI.
There is no extra radiation risk due to CT scan.Now a days,spiral machine is used every where which delivers very less radiation dose to patients as compared to previous ones.
Radiation dose due to CT scan of abdomen is far less than the maximum allowable safe dose,so please don't worry about this.It may deliver 8 mSV dose to patient and this is a safe limit.
If still you are concerned then you can opt for MRI of abdomen.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
should a mri give enough detail on whether or not it looks malignant?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,MRI is very helpful in characterizing lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes,MRI is very helpful in characterizing lesions.It is very helpful in differentiating benign or malignant lesions.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX