What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I had follow up scan on 6th at 8weeks+4 which showed:
- Single irregular-shaped uterine gestational sac
- Small embryo notes within - CRL 3.3mm but no fetal HR seen or heard
- No appropriate growth since last scan (2.2mm on 28.11.17, HR was 50bpm) Collapsing amnion notes within gestational sac
- Bleeding within the sac is also evident
- Adsense - NAD

I know that I have lost the baby and am awaiting medical management on Monday. Baby was via IVF and I have stopped all medications as advised but still no bleeding. Embryo was PGD/PGS as have Mitocondrial disease so I know embryo was normal. Just wondering possible causes for the slow development, bleeding and collapse?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
There are various reasons for a miscarriage other than an abnormal embryo.
There are various mechanisms that can go wrong with implantation.
The uterine milieu and environment maybe hostile due to various factors, the blood flow to the embryo maybe interfered with by many elements and lastly not all abnormalities are picked up by PGD.
In fact there are various genetic defects that are not even diagnosed or known.
Fertility is not an exact science, 2 and 2 don't always add up to 4.
If there was mathematical precision, IVF would guarantee 100 percent success rates.
There are complex biochemical factors that are at Play here, and that can contribute to abnormal embryonic development.
My commiserations and prayers.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj