• question-icon

What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I presented to a hospital a few days ago to evaluate post-menopausal bleeding. Transvaginal scan found "complex left ovarian lesion with isoechoic homogeous internal echoes and apparent internal venous vasularity". What does this mean? I will be going for further evaluation. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a possibility of malignancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The ultrasound report is suggestive of a uniform mass in the left ovary that shows a vascularity- means is an active mass and can be related to a malignancy. You need further evaluation like MRI scan and a few blood tests like serum CA -125 levels to find out the extent of mass any lymph node involvement and to rule out a possibility of malignancy.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I am definitely going for follow up. Can this lesion also be benign or is it definitely malignant?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be benign also.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
This can be a benign lesion also. But we need to have a biopsy to know the exact type.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN