What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello,
I had a 29 week ultra sound and there was a comment of venous lakes on the placenta. My midwife said this can be worrisome as it affects baby development/growth.

What does venous lakes mean.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a good sign

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for trusting us with your health concerns
Yes placental lakes are not a good sign and implies that there is a blood collection in placenta which can cause compromise the supply of blood to the baby.
Also there is a succenturiate lobe of placenta which is present on the mouth of uterus and thus can lead to torrential bleeding during vaginal delivery so best will be to opt for cesarean section and avoid any sexual activity and heavy work at all times
All the best and take care
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 5 hours later
ok wow. I had a phone in with my physician who stated not to be as worried unless there is more than 10% venous lakes. He said in 3rd trimester it's seen often and not a big deal. The report did not specify a percentage.

thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a healthy thing at 29 weeks

Detailed Answer:
There is no percentage and he is right as far as late 3rd trimester is concerned but lakes at this gestation are not a good sign especially when you have a succenturiate line as well
Good amount of rest and regular antenatal checkup is of paramount importance in your case
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D