What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, my brother(22year old) have a stone of 8mm at left UV junction as diagnosed in ultrasound today. 2weeks back he got CT-KUB in which the stone was 6mm and was in mid-ureter. Doctor advised for endoscopy. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The modality of treatment depends upon following factors .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Your brother has been detected to have stone of a size of 6-8 mm in left ureter at URetero Vesical Junction .

The modality of treatment in such cases is decided on following few factors
1) Severity of symptoms --Whether patient has fever ,persistent vomiting suggesting infection
2) Degree of hydronephrosis (Back pressure changes in kidney)as reported in Ultrasound Scanning

Normally a stone of a size of 6-8 mm located at UV junction can be expected to pass out spontaneously.

I would suggest you to wait and watch and take following treatment
1) Take antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin twice daily to prevent infection
2) Tomsulosin once daily this is a smooth muscle relaxant and causes dialatation of ureter and there by halps to mve the stone down i to bladder
3) Tab Drotavarine twice daily This also helps to dilate the ureter and reduces the pain .
4) Drink more water to produce more urine ,This will help to pass the stone down early .
5) Repeat your ultrasound Scanning after two weeks to see whether stone is at the same level or moved down .

However if he gets severe pain and vomiting during this expectant period he may need to get the stone removed endoscopically .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad