What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have been diagnosed with simple cortical cyst at lower pole of left kidney measures 1.3 x 1.1 cm. Sometimes I feel very slight pain on the waist below it. Please advise. The USG was done last month.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thank you for contacting healthcaremagic
Simple cortical cyst are very common occurring in up to 1 in 3 people. These do not usually cause any problem unless they are very large or occasionally if bleeding occurs into the cyst due to injury in which case some debris may be noted within the cyst on ultrasound.
In your case the cyst is small. Even it causes pain, the treatment will be pain killers only taken for short duration. These do not cause long term pain and you will have to look for other causes of pain like pain from muscles if pain persists.
Hope that answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 38 hours later
What you think when should I do my next USG. Last was done in July 2016.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary unless continue to have pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for your follow up query.

I do not do follow up ultrasounds in a patient with simple cyst of 1.3 cm diameter unless the patient continues to have pain from the cyst which is unlikely in such a small cyst or there was evidence of debris within cyst.

In case you are still not convinced, then have an ultrasound done yearly but this not my usual practice.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 47 hours later
Can I do yoga in the situation.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for the follow up query.

Yes. Yoga is good for mind and body and may help the pain if done properly but will not do anything to the cyst. The cyst will remain with you for the rest of your life and please stop worrying about it.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar