What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi mam.hope u remember me.in relation to my previous discussed history,got a latest ultrasound done for which I wanted to consult u.reports enclosed.

I had my periods in month of Feb and march both after 10 months .currently att is still on ,though my treating physician is in a opinion of stopping it now ,since its been a year..what can u suggest on this after reading my usg reports ..should my att be continued to more time or not..pls explain my usg findings

Also will getting an mri done now be beneficial to know current status.

I read on net that healing in tb takes form of scar..is this is what being Said in usg.

Is this possible that tb bacteria may remain in adhesions

Pls guide mam what can be done..what is mild bilateral telangiectasia means
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Telangiectasia means increased vascularity observed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms. XXXXXXX

Hope you are keeping better health now. I have gone through the sonogram report. Here are your answers:

1. ATT is usually given for one year in treating pelvic tuberculosis. This decision is also based on the response. Thus, I think your doctor is the better judge.

2. The sonogram report suggests adhesion of both the ovaries to the sides of the uterus. If this is causing any symptoms, treatment should be planned. This can be done through laparoscopic removal of adhesions. Several sittings may be needed, since the body's reaction to surgery varies from individual to individual. Some have a higher tendency to form adhesions. Further treatment is planned depending on the postoperative recovery.

3. Getting an MRI can be of use when further management is being planned. In the current scenario, since you are already in the recovery phase, you may not need it.

4. Scar formation is the result of the body's reaction while healing. Of course, scar formation is a feature of healing in tuberculosis. This can be the reason for the adhesion of the ovaries. I also remember that you were reported as having post-operative adhesions. In that case, these adhesions might have added to the current sonogram picture.

5. Tuberculosis bacteria do not remain in adhesions, as far as my knowledge goes. Research has shown them to sustain in the mediastinal region for years and flare up when there is an immunodeficiency in the body.

6.The presence of multiple follicles in the ovaries suggests polycystic ovaries, but, according to the latest standards, the follicle number should be at least 26, more than 2 mm. in size and the ovarian volume should be more than 10 ml. to diagnose polycystic ovarian disease. Since you seem to be attaining regular menstrual cycles, observation is needed.

7. Telangiectasia means dilatation of the capillaries, usually seen as a spider web on the skin surface. In the report, the ovaries seem to have increased circulation and this is likely to have resulted in this picture. Most often, this condition is benign. Follow up is sufficient.

Hope your queries have been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 days later
Mam if u can pls tell that whether Tb causes low immunity or the medicines taken to cure tb..because last week also I got herpes zoster in my arm area and specialist said that this is because of low immunity..anti virals were given.
if I have teken the med of tb why still I got infection so repeteadly..the viral keratitis I had in my eye has still not cured having spots on my eyes..i m in dilema what is causing what.

Also is it possible that the area where I feel discomfort has some suture or tissue reaction to that suture

Can adhesions be cured with any medicine in allopathy homeopathy or Ayurveda..i feel my whole body is swelled up..earlier I thought thy it would go with periods but it didn't happen..can adhesions be left like this or overthe time they will grow up and create some problem like bowel obstruction or lack of blood supply..

Whose the best surgeon to deal my problem if I had to operate..pls guide mam
anymedicines for them to be cured ..does
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
A general surgeon with good laparoscopic experience.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here are your answers:

1. Low immunity is caused by the disease itself. Though you are on treatment, due to the lowered immunity it is common to see associated fungal or other infections. You need to try and improve immunity in every way possible-through diet, rest, breathing exercises and nutritional supplements.

2. Since you were put on Ethambutol, you need to have regular eye care from an ophthalmologist, at least every six months. Since steroids cannot be given freely due to the underlying infection, treatment of keratitis takes time.

3. It is possible to have a left suture or tissue induration. Investigation like a contrast CT or MRI will usually show this.

4. Medication to treat adhesions are being tried in allopathy but with not so much benefit. I am not sure of such medications in ayurveda and homeopathy. You need to consult specialists in the respective fields. It is true that there is a chance of adhesions continuing to grow and cause discomfort or obstruction.

5. A general surgeon with ample operative laparoscopic experience is a good choice if you wish to go for any operative procedure. Medications are not of much use, sorry to say.

Hope your queries have been answered. Please contact for further help. I will be glad to oblige.

regards,
Shanti.V.