• question-icon

What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor, my wife is pregnant 12 weeks now . Third month scan shows "placenta fundal posterior low lying. The lower margin is touching the internal OS". Doctor prescribed susten 200. Any danger now?. The prescribed tablet is correct or not
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No immediate danger now but placenta position to be followed up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The 12 weeks ultrasound shows a placental position which is fundal posterior and low lying. The placenta is an organ which gives nutrition to the developing foetus ans is attached to the inner wall of uterus.

2. The placenta being low lying in 12 weeks is to be followed in the 20 weeks scan and again after 28 weeks. In many patients it is described as low lying in 12 weeks. Right now it is a possible danger only if your wife has any bleeding or spotting. If there is no bleeding then she is safe now.

3. It is a worry if the placenta continues to be low lying after 28 weeks scan. In my experience the placenta in your wife will migrate and change to a higher position. However the after 28 week scan is most important to know the final placenta position.

4. Susten 200 is progesterone 200 mg and is usually prescribed in early pregnancy to balance progesterone level and help in safe pregnancy. Basically it is given to avoid miscarriage.

5. In conclusion, there is no immediate danger if your wife does not have any bleeding. Please follow up with her doctor regularly and get 20 weeks and 28 weeks scan done to know if placenta is low lying or has got corrected.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 12 hours later
Thank you verymuch doctor. What are the precaution my wife should take to avoid further placenta low lying. She is so upset after seeing the scan results? . Friends are advised her when baby grows the low lying placenta will go up....is it correct doctor?

What she should do and should not now to avoid further low lying placenta.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Placenta migration takes place in more than 90 percent women

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. She should be happy with scan result and please tell her baby is well and what is written in report is a usual occurrence in many patients.

2. Her friends are right that placenta takes position mainly after 28 weeks. In over 90 percent low lying placenta detected in 12 weeks, the placenta will take safe location after 28 weeks and this is called placenta migration.

3. There is no strict precautions to be taken right now. However, please avoid bad roads and slow down when travelling in two wheeler to be safe.

Hope your query is answered.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist