Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does this ultrasound report for stomach pain indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 299 Questions

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi sir,

Today my mother got pain stomach. So doctor advised to take scan. So we did take the scan he said that some stones formed in the kidney. Could please help is this really formed , if yes please provide suggestion to remove the stones from kidney.

I send scan report to YYYY@YYYY .

Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely a ureteric stone

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for contacting healthcaremagic.

Your mother has had an ultrasound which shows that there is some degree of blockage to the left kidney. The most likely cause is a stone blocking the left ureter- the tube that drains urine from left kidney to the bladder.

This needs to be dealt with urgently.

Could you please let me know
1)whether your mothers pain is tolerable and what pain killer she has taken/taking
2)Has she got any fever
3) Hs she had any blood tests and if so the results

She will need the following tests urgently
1) Non contast CT scan of the kidneys and bladder - CT KUB. If necessary contrast can be given.
2) Urine routine test
3)Blood tests - creatinine, FBC

Meanwhile ask her to take plenty of oral fluids. She can take naproxen 500 mg twice daily for pain if she has not got asthma, ulcer in stomach or bleeding tendencies. Please get a prescription from a doctor.

If she develops fever then she needs to be admitted in the hospital urgently.
Otherwise please let me know the results of the tests.

The treatment depends on the size of stone - small stones can be allowed to pass by itself. Larger stones may require treatment by surgery.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...