What does this ultrasound report for stomach pain indicate?

Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi sir,

Today my mother got pain stomach. So doctor advised to take scan. So we did take the scan he said that some stones formed in the kidney. Could please help is this really formed , if yes please provide suggestion to remove the stones from kidney.

I send scan report to YYYY@YYYY .

Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely a ureteric stone

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for contacting healthcaremagic.

Your mother has had an ultrasound which shows that there is some degree of blockage to the left kidney. The most likely cause is a stone blocking the left ureter- the tube that drains urine from left kidney to the bladder.

This needs to be dealt with urgently.

Could you please let me know
1)whether your mothers pain is tolerable and what pain killer she has taken/taking
2)Has she got any fever
3) Hs she had any blood tests and if so the results

She will need the following tests urgently
1) Non contast CT scan of the kidneys and bladder - CT KUB. If necessary contrast can be given.
2) Urine routine test
3)Blood tests - creatinine, FBC

Meanwhile ask her to take plenty of oral fluids. She can take naproxen 500 mg twice daily for pain if she has not got asthma, ulcer in stomach or bleeding tendencies. Please get a prescription from a doctor.

If she develops fever then she needs to be admitted in the hospital urgently.
Otherwise please let me know the results of the tests.

The treatment depends on the size of stone - small stones can be allowed to pass by itself. Larger stones may require treatment by surgery.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj