What does this ultrasound of both gluteus medius and gluteus minimus indicate?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I had ultra sound and x rays that advised I have cortical irregularity at the sites of tendon and ligaments to the pelvis and greater trochanteric regions. Ultra sounds showed both the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus tendons showed mixed, decreased echogenicity at the attachments to the greater trochanter and an irregularity of the bony cortex. I have had an cortisone injection in the hip for bursitis 4 weeks ago that has not really helped at all. I do have referral for MRI. What in plain English are these findings what do they mean?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is normal age related finding

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXX

There is absolutely nothing to worry about Ultrasound report, it is a normal age related finding. There is sometimes calcification associated at the site of attachment of tendons which usually appears as increased echogenicity ( it reflects back more ultrasound waves compared to surrounding tissue ) on ultrasound. The site of weakness of tendons usually appears as decreased echogenicity ( It does not reflect back ultrasound waves as compared to surrounding tissue).

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 9 hours later
Thankyou so does that mean that I will just have to live with it and the pain. I have been very active all my life so does this now mean I can't do anything like I use to? Is there any cure what do folk do with this condition?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calcium supplement will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings

Following is helpful in management

1. Analgesic like Ibuprofen
2. Calcium and Vitamin D 3 supplements
3. Hot water fomentation

Wishing you great health

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak