What does this ultra sound of the pelvis indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
My wife is aged 38 and have 2 children..ultra sound of the pelvis has revealed ..
utreus is bulky in size & measures 9.3×5.4×5.8cm
Endometrial thickness is 7.2mm
Focal lesion: heterogeneous hypoechoic lesion of size 7.5×5.9 cm in left wall of fundic body region of uterus. Intralesional high resistance flow noted (RI:0.7) No infiltration of surrounding structure. No Intralesional cystic area or calcification.
Ovaries: Normal
urinary bladder: normal
minimal free fluid noted POD..
Kindly let know what to do in this condition. Is surgery absolutely necessary?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably she is suffering from fibroid uterus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your wife's reports in detail.

Probably your wife is suffering from large fibroid uterus,though it is not properly mentioned in the report as final diagnosis.Due to lesion,uterus is enlarged in size.

If there is any doubt in USG findings then contrast CT scan of abdomen can be done.
Fibroid is benign tumour of the uterus. Fibroid may involve many regions of the uterus like muscle of uterus(called as intramural),below serosa of uterus(called as subserosa) etc.

Fibroid can be treated by both means,conservatively and surgically depend upon many things like symptoms,age,family is completed or not etc.

Endometrial thickness is normal.

Minimal free fluid noted POD may be due to many reason like ovulation etc.

Other findings are within normal limit.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Hi, Thanks! Final diagnosis as mentioned on the report is 'bulky uterus with large intramural fibroid in left lateral wall of body and fundic region. Minimal free fluid in pod'....U hv mentioned that it can b treated conservatively. .what does that mean? Kindly elaborate. .can it b treated by medicine?..Family is complete but she is only 38yrs and hv heard that there r a lot of complications post removal of uterus.
she has a lot of pain and heaviness in the lower abdomen..kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Conservative treatment means treatment without surgical intervention.
She is suffering from large fibroid.If it is causing symptoms and family is completed then surgical removal of uterus can be done,so you can follow your doctor's advice.It will not respond much to medicines.
Don't worry about complications.Every operation has chance of some complications,it is not universal in all cases.Generally it is considered as safe operation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX