question-icon

What does this thyroid test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018
Question: My mother is a diabetic and had stents performed in carotid arteries for heart disease a year back. She is also suffering from hypertension and thyroid.
Recently, she took a thyroid profile test and the values were found to be within the normal range according to the lab reports. She is taking thyroid 75 mcg daily. Should she continue the same dosage or reduce it now?

Test results:
T3 0.93 ng/mL
T4 8.22 ug/dL (micro gram)
TSH 4.0

Reference levels:
T3 0.40 - 1.81 (Age 50 - 90)
T4 4.6 - 10.5
T5 0.5 - 8.9 (Age 55 - 87)

Thanks and Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
the normal results mean that she is using the right dose

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The thyroid results are in the normal range because she is using the correct dose of medication.

If she was using too much or too little then the hormone results would not be in the normal range.

The dose should remain as it is unless directed to change it by her doctor for some reason.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James