• question-icon

What does this thyroid test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: tsh 22
t3 1.22
t4 28.6
presently on thyronorm 50 .but bp fluctuates from 103/60 to 160/90.hence do not take Amlong 5 prescribed for high bp.
pls advise on controlling bp fluctuations with headache and alternatively better medication for normal lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regular intake of medicines, periodic follow up and dose adjustment needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I do not suppose that thyronorm (thyroxine) 50 mcg would be adequate to bring down the TSH level in control. Dose modification might be needed. You need to be under periodic follow up for the same.

Regarding the blood pressure fluctuation, you need to ensure that your salt intake is low. Try to eliminate salt from diet (not only extra added salt). Maintain a good fluid intake (water). Exercise regularly and walk daily in the morning. These are important steps in maintaining a stable blood pressure. You also need to take BP medication regularly without fail. You need to be under periodic follow up with your doctor since periodic monitoring of BP and suitable adjustment in dose or regimen might be necessary.

It is not about 'better' medication. It is about following proper protocol and adjusting the dose according to the requirements of your body. This can only be done with close monitoring and follow up.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
We have a digital bp monitor at home and check bp thrice a day .Problem starts with headache and breathlessness at 140 systolic ,diastolic is84 pulse is 74.The fear of taking Amlong5 at night is when the diastolic is 56 to 60 and systolic 103-6 is that the bp might go so low at night sleep to stop beating.
Salt intake is minimal already.High Bp is normally in the evenings.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Amlong when the BP is high and not when the BP is low

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the updates. I would insist you to take Amlong 5 in the evening when the BP is high, and not at night when the BP is low. It might be advisable to go for Amlong 2.5 twice a day if that does not help.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 days later
Earlier test reports were on 15/5/17
New test report as on 27/6/17 after taking thyronorm 50 daily is as under
TSH....5.14
T3.......1.84
T4.......76
Thyronorm 50 was taken 24 hrs ago before test.
Kindly advise medicine dosage
Earlier advise of Amlong2.5 post lunch has helped bp control
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some dose modification is needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. There has been a reasonable amount of improvement but still possibly some dose adjustment would be required. Thyronorm can be increased to 62.5 mcg per day (50 + half of 25) daily or alternating with 50 mcg.

It is good to know that the BP is under control.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha