What does this thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My name is XXXX - 31 Year Female
my anti tpo is <1300
and TSH is 4.95
HB - 8.5

is it harmful? or what does it mean?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer.....explained below
Detailed answer.....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
First of all I would want to re assure you that there is nothing to worry as this is not a serious problem at all.
Details provided by you suggest that you have high levels of TPO antibodies along with a just above normal level of TSH and low hemoglobin.
This suggests that you are suffering from autoimmune thyroiditis with sub clinical hypothyroidism.
Since there is no particular medicine to cure high antibodies level and also the fact that this is a progressive disease,where your thyroid cells will keep on getting destroyed,you must be put on some low dose of synthetic thyroxine hormone like eltroxin or THYRONORM.
You may start with a dose of 25 mcg.
Basically speaking giving thyroxine hormones is the only treatment for your condition.
High TPO levels won't cause any other problem except causing gradual destruction of thyroid cells.
Keep a regular track of your TSH levels.
For low levels of hemoglobin you should take some iron preparation every day along with foods containing high iron content like apple,guavava,banana,green vegetables,nuts like almonds and walnuts etc.
You may even consult an endocrinologist for a proper management of your condition.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks