What does this syphilis test report indicate?

Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa

Sexologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: Im HIV Undetectable and Im concerned that i have a reoccurrence of syphillus. Last year when i first got it my doc ordered 2 injections per week for three weeks. Retested and came back within the norm for a previously infected person. I don't recall the numbers. But doc said i was fine. Recently developed a rash on torso, a little itchy this time but looked similar but don't recall a sore prior to that. Feels more like an allergy reaction to me but went and had another screening for syphillus and the test cam back - RPR - Value / Reactive (A) - Reference range / non-reactive - RPR, Quant - Value / 1:128 (H) - Reference Range / NonRea<1:1. It's been 5 days since the rash appeared and is now gone....Think it may have been just an allergy reaction or think I'm reinfected?
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are not infected

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for the query
RPR or rapid plasma reagin is a nonspecific screening test that detects only antibodies against many other antigens so false positive is very common A more specific test is TPI or treponema Pallidum Immobilization test Or TPHA Treponema Pallidum Heam Agglutination test so I shall not make a final call on syphlis with RPR test only. I think, it could be due to allergy
DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar