What does this slightly high BP value indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I have blood pressure of 158/68 and am wondering if this is ok
Just wondering if this is around normal
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At your age more than 150/ 90 mm Hg is higher

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Latest research on blood pressure in the elderly, above 60 years of age, by the XXXXXXX Medical Association states that medications are to be taken only if the blood pressure is more than 150/ 90 mm Hg in your age group.

To know the blood pressure of an individual, it must be recorded at least 30 minutes after rest and on 3 subsequent days at the same time. If the blood pressure is persistently high only then the person is classified as hypertensive.

Coming to your blood pressure recording of 158/ 68 mm Hg, I guess it must have been recorded using an electronic machine. These machines can give an error of about 5% which means you might be having a normal blood pressure.

I suggest you get your blood pressure recorded on 3 subsequent days after at least 30 minutes of rest by a paremedic and then consult your doctor if it is persistently above 150/ 90 mm Hg.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek