What does this semen analysis report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 30 Jul 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Dear Doctor
My son semen analysis is as given below .Pl advise what next steps need to be done as his ph is 8 and WBC is reflecting and whether he can be fertile and bear child email id
Thanks
SEMEN ANALYSIS
Physical Examination
Volume 1.5 mL 2.0 ml or more
Liquification 30 min < 30
Viscosity Normal Normal
pH 8.0
Chemical Examination
Reaction Alkaline
Fructose (Semen) (Semen)
Positive
Microscopic Examination
SPERM COUNT 14.1 million/mL
Motility
A - Rapid progressive motility 00 % -
B - Sluggish progressive motility 20 % -
C - Non progressive motility 10 %
D - No motility 70 % -
INTERPRETATION: Remarks: 50% or more with grade A+B motility /25% or more with grade A Morphology
Normal 60 % 60% or more of normal forms
Pin, Giant & Amorphous heads 40 % -
Other Microscopic Examination
WBCs 1 - 2 /hpf Nil
RBCs (Semen)
Nil /hpf
Epithelial Cells Nil
Sperm agglutinates Nil Nil

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your son semen report reveals Oligoasthanoterratozoospermia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query .Based on the semen report of your son that you have posted I would state that he has what is termed as Oligoasthanoterratozoospermia meaning there by that his sperm count ,percentage of active motile sperm and morphology of sperms are below accepted range to effect into natural pregnancy .

The semen PH and WBC count are within normal range .

Truly speaking there are no medications that can help to increase sperm count and motility of sperms .

With given semen parameters there are no chances that he will impregnate his wife and have a child by natural means .

Please consult qualified Infertility specialist for evaluation and to explore the possibility of pregnancy with the help of newly assisted reproductive techniques like IVF or ICSI.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Thanks Doctor. I have one followup question and request your answer

I am getting his semen culture done and in case it is positive and if it shows semen has infection , if the infection is treated with antibiotic , once treated is there a possibility that the sperm count and motility increase and show better results on a repeat after few months

Please revert

Thanks

Brief Answer:
His semen analysis does not show WBC hence there is no infection .He

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

His semen analysis report that you have uploaded does not reveal any WBC hence there is less possibility of infection .

Sperm count and motility do improve to some extent after taking antibiotics provided there is positive evidence of infection .

However you can try it .It will help to allay your anxiety which is but natural in such sensitive issue .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 45 hours later
Thanks doctor

As u correctly pointed ,his semen culture came negative with no growth and no infection .

can you please advise any course of medicine with folic acid and zinc supplement and time period so as to try from our side naturally to increase sperm count and motilty as he is young.

His sperm morpology is as below

Normal 60 %
Pin, Giant & Amorphous heads 40 % -

Is this also abnormal or the above morphology is within normal range

Kindly revert

Thanks
Brief Answer:
Morphology of the sperms is normal .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for folllow up .

Morphology of the sperms is normal .

Green Vegetables and fruits like Pomegranate are rich in Zinc and Vitamins .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist